Contract with the State

Each year, the State purchases billions of dollars of goods and services to keep the city running and provide services for its constituents. There are many opportunities for a wide variety of business sectors to do business with the State.

Public Works Contractors

Public works contractors need to be Registered with the New Jersey Department of Labor in order to bid on a public works contract.

Public Works Contractor Registration


NJSTART is the Division of Purchase and Property's eProcurement System.

Both vendors and potential vendors should register at

On NJSTART you can search bidding opportunites, maintain copies of documents necessary for responding to bidding opportunities, or search existing contracts to help find subcontracting opportunities.


Special Registrations and Certifications

The State of New Jersey has several Registrations and Certifications that can be powerful tools for businesses interested in Government procurement.

New Jersey has set-aside of 25% of its purchase order dollars for Registered Small Business Enterprises (SBE) that can help small busineses compete for government contracts. A Service Disabled Veteran Owned Business Enterprise DVOB can also take advantage of a 3% set-aside.

The State also offers Certifications as Women or Minority Owned Business Enterprise W/MBE, which can also be powerful tools in assisting businesses in obtaining contracts. Applications for SBE Registration can be completed online and applications for other certifications can be found here.

Special Registrations and Certifications

Small Business and Minority and/or Women-Owned Business (M/WBE) Certification

NJSAVI (New Jersey Selective Assistance Vendor Information) is a database that identifies businesses that are registered as a SBE and/or certified as a M/WBE with the State of New Jersey, through the Division of Revenue. The NJSAVI marketplace identifies businesses eligible for mandated State programs such as the NJ Small Business Set-Aside program, and aids in matching buyers and vendors for private contracting opportunities.

Click the link below to learn more about how to register as a Small Business Enterprise (SBE) under the Small Business Set-Aside Act or to be certified as a Minority and/or Women Business Enterprise (M/WBE).

NJSAVI: More Information

Veteran-Owned Business Certification

The state of New Jersey offers certifications for Veteran Owned Businesses (VOB) and Disabled Veteran Owned Businesses (DVOB).

Click the link below to learn how to register as a VOB or DVOB and be listed in the NJSAVI database.

VOB/DVOB Registration