What questions should I ask when deciding where to locate my business?
General questions to ask:
- Is the site centrally located to reach my market?
- Is the facility easily accessible?
- What is the transportation availability and what are the rates? Is public transportation available?
- What are provisions for future expansion?
- What is the housing availability for managers and workers?
- What environmental factors (schools, cultural, community atmosphere) might be attractive to the business and employees?
- Is the area regularly trafficked by potential customers? Do other, nearby business help attract customers to the area?
- What will the quality of this site be in 5 years, 10 years and 25 years?
- Would my major competitor choose this site?
- Is quality labor available in close proximity to site?
- Is parking space available and adequate?
- Will crime insurance be prohibitively expensive?
- Is the location convenient to where you live?
- What local regulations and zoning ordinances will I have to comply with?