Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Get answers to common questions and more specific situations about all kinds of businesses.

How do I get paid promptly after doing business with the State?

How to Be Paid Promptly by the State of New Jersey

Vendors doing business with the State of New Jersey can receive payment for goods and services purchased by the state government within as few as 30 days by following some simple instructions.

First, before providing goods and services you must have received a purchase order with an authorized signature under agency approval.

If a business does not have a purchase order in its possession with an authorized signature under agency approval, the company should not start work or provide goods or services.

Payment Process

In either of the above instances, the business will receive the following set of forms, which should be considered the work order and authorization. The terms “Payee” and “Vendor” are used interchangeably.

State of New Jersey AGENCY PURCHASE ORDER (PB2PO-r8/93)

State of New Jersey PAYMENT VOUCHER (PBPV1-r3/93)

  1. Check the agency purchase order carefully. Verify that the prices are the same that you bid or quoted. Read the document carefully and understand the terms and conditions of the order or job.
  2. Clarify any discrepancies before you perform the service or supply the goods. Failure to obtain prior authorization to change the order in any way will delay payment. Perform the service or supply the goods authorized.
  3. Upon the state’s acceptance of the service or goods, complete and mail the payment voucher to the address listed in item (E) “Send Completed Form To:”
  4. Read the payee instructions on the reverse side of the Payment Voucher.
  5. If not already filled in by the agency placing the order, complete items (A) through (D).
  6. Sign the “Payee Declaration” (F). Be sure to write your title and the current date.
  7. In “Payee Reference Number” (G) include the businesses’ invoice number, billing number or any other identification for reference purposes. This will be recorded on the check stub and assist you in payment identification. Do not use more than 30 characters.


Keep a record of the payment voucher. Address changes should be made in writing to:

     Department of the Treasury

     Office of Management and Budget — Vendor Control

     PO Box 221

     Trenton, NJ 08625-0221


All other changes (business address, phone number, identification number, etc.) should be made in writing to:

     Department of the Treasury

     Purchase Bureau — Vendor Change

     PO Box 230

     Trenton, NJ 08625-0230



It is your responsibility to get written agreements or contracts from prime contractors performing state contracts. Finalize working hours, pay, overtime, holidays and expected project completion dates. Determine whether the prime contractor is bonded. If necessary, contact the bonding company that issued the performance bond. It is your responsibility to keep proper records of the hours and days you worked.

Was this helpful? You can also reach out to us via chat by clicking or phone at 1-800-JERSEY-7.